Monday, April 11, 2011

The Prettiest Nurse Saves a Life

I had just graduated college and was a summer nurse intern at a hospital in
Manhattan commuting home from work.

I was transferring from the 6 to the E train, taking the long steep escalator down to the train. I looked at the stationary, nonworking escalator next to me and noticed a man in his 30's who had obviously fallen and was lying in a very awkward position on the stairs. His friend was calling for help.

I was in my scrubs, a new nurse thinking I was out to save the world, and ran up the escalator stairs to where him and his friend was. The first thing I see is a puddle of blood,but the man was awake. I made sure he didn't hurt his back, and lifted this guy (with his friends help) to a sitting position. I knew he had to go to the hospital, so I called for a bystander to call an ambulance. He looked up at me and said, "Amy, you saved my life." Little did I know, I stupidly left my name tag on that also had the name of the hospital I worked at.

I helped until the police and medics took over, and at work the next day, much to my surprise a bouquet of flowers was sent to me that said "I got some stitches and I'm okay! Thank you so much to the prettiest nurse I've ever seen", with only a first name. It was the coolest subway experience I've had yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment