Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Subways are among the most beautiful things created by human beings on earth.

Like a lot of native New Yorkers, the subways are where a good deal of my life has been conducted. I've had swell days on the trains, and miserable ones. From an emotional standpoint, I sort of feel like Subways are among the most beautiful things created by human beings on earth. Seriously, they are more poignant, more lovely and heartbreaking than any work of art I can think of. Sometimes I'm amazed that humans, as selfish and creepy and petty as we are, were able to get it together and make something as sprawling, functional, and democratic as the subways. Although building them relied a good deal on exploiting cheap labor for dangerous work, the subways were built for the common people, to be used by everyone. As I understand it, the city managed to keep the price at a nickel for a long time, based on this philosophy. And I think there are unintended, healthy social consequences to putting people in a train car together.

Larry, Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment